About L.A. Works: L.A. Works is a 501(c)3 nonprofit volunteer action center that creates, manages, and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area. With more than 20 years of success, L.A. Works addresses three principal needs: to increase volunteer participation in the community; to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations to achieve their missions through access to volunteer labor and other resources; and to educate and encourage people to engage in the broader social issues affecting the greater Los Angeles community. L.A. Works has more than 30,000 registered volunteers who have contributed over 1,000,000 volunteer hours of service to thousands of nonprofits in the Los Angeles community.
RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) is one of the largest volunteer networks in the nation for people 55 and over. Funded by the Corporation for National Community Service as a part of the larger Senior Corps initiative, RSVP engages older Americans in volunteer opportunities across the country. These volunteers have been a critical resource for nationwide response efforts—in everything from hunger prevention to natural disasters including Hurricane Sandy. L.A. Works has received new, three year renewable grant funding to launch a Los Angeles RSVP program. Building on the foundation and relationships L.A. Works has with nonprofits in the community, this new program will more than double the volunteer resources L.A. Works provides to the community.
Position Overview: The RSVP Coordinator position will be responsible for maintaining relationships with the nonprofit Volunteer Stations (nonprofits and public agencies where RSVP volunteers serve) for effective RSVP volunteer placement as well as for RSVP member recruitment, engagement, and placement. This position requires someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, passionate about service, energetic, and highly organized. This individual should be knowledgeable about issues facing today’s older adults. In collaboration with the RSVP team, this position will be responsible for providing input on the annual program plans, and will ensure expected outcomes are achieved. The ideal candidate will have strong communications skills, be a self-starter who can multi-task, and have experience working in the nonprofit sector. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
* Assisting Volunteer Stations with development and creation of volunteer roles in database portal (HandsOn Connect);
* Coaching and consulting services to Volunteer Stations to identify measurable outcomes associated with RSVP volunteers and developing tracking processes for these outcomes;
* Training Volunteer Stations on database portal utilization;
* Overseeing the database portal for Volunteer Station reporting;
* Participating in nonprofit, volunteer and leadership training and orientations;
* Recruitment, training, placement, and management of RSVP members;
* Management of the volunteer tracking and reporting in database portal (HandsOn Connect);
* Building the RSVP volunteer member community; including creating meaningful volunteer recognition events as well as identifying additional ways to recognize RSVP members;
* Creating and managing enewsletter content and communications for RSVP members;
* Leading teams of RSVP volunteers on L.A. Works’ large-scale Days of Service; and
* Providing timely and well-articulated reports, including identification of barriers and potential solutions.
* Bachelor’s degree with minimum of three years progressively responsible nonprofit program management;
* Knowledge of and significant experience in the volunteering sector; in-depth understanding of engagement of older adult volunteers a plus;
* Open to and excited by the opportunity to inform our strategic thinking and work within an entrepreneurial environment;
* Strong customer service skills with professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone;
* A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
* Excellent written and oral communication skills; bi-lingual in Spanish or other language dominant in the L.A. market a plus; and,
* Proactive, self-directed, and results-oriented personality with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
* Ability to lift up to 30 pounds;
* Valid driver’s license; comfortable with driving a van or large vehicle for supply delivery and pick-up;
* Access to personal car for occasional travel throughout Los Angeles County;
* Some evening and weekend commitments; and
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
Reporting: This position reports to the Director of Special Programs.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Application Procedure: Please email a single pdf file that includes a cover letter outlining your interest, skills, and recent salary history along with your resume to HR@laworks.com.