L.A. Works is looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA to join the team this Spring!
Key Dates: The term of service begins on April 28, 2014 and lasts for 1 year. A Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) Training is required for all members and is scheduled for April 22 – 25, 2014.
Position Overview: L.A. Works seeks a passionate, dedicated, highly motivated individual who is capable of managing L.A. Works’ nonprofit and volunteer relationships and is ready for a transformative year of growth as an AmeriCorps member. In focusing on building effectiveness and sustainability of volunteer programs and delivery at organizations addressing anti-poverty issues including community and economic development, education and healthy futures, the L.A. Works Nonprofit Relations Coordinator will become familiar with the diverse organizations and volunteer opportunities throughout Los Angeles. The AmeriCorps VISTA member will help transform our nonprofit partners’ organizational structures to increase their capacity for poverty reduction in the community through more effective volunteer recruitment, placement and engagement practices. This position will require an entrepreneurial attitude, a pro-active drive to identify challenges and possibilities, build connections, and work towards seeing effective results in the LA community. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have strong communications skills, be a self-starter who can multi-task, and have experience working in nonprofits or with nonprofit volunteers. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. L.A. Works has a team of three AmeriCorps members. This position will have one counterpart to closely collaborate with during the year of service.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Commitment and understanding of the AmeriCorps principles and values and the one year of service
- Ability to adapt to the living allowance and other lifestyle challenges common for AmeriCorps members;
- Capable and engaging public speaker and networker with a professional demeanor and the ability to engage successfully with a wide range of individuals, especially nonprofit leaders;
- Strong customer service skills with professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone;
- Superior, persuasive, and proven writing and marketing capabilities;
- Proactive, self-directed, and results-oriented personality with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team. (L.A. Works has a team of three AmeriCorps members that work closely together so being a team player is key);
- A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
- Comfortable and effective in a “coaching” role with nonprofit professionals;
- Proficient in developing processes and procedures to track data;
- Open to and excited by the opportunity to inform our strategic thinking and work within an entrepreneurial environment;
- Interest in nonprofit work and belief in the value of community service.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Access to personal car for travel throughout Los Angeles County;
- CANNOT be engaged in any means of paid work outside of the full-time VISTA role at L.A. Works
- Must be at least 17 years of age and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S.;
- Some evening and weekend commitments;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Knowledge of databases is a plus.
- Develop relationships with a core group of nonprofit agencies, providing them with consultative support to assist them in identifying challenges and areas of growth in their volunteer program and guiding them through action plans to address them;
- Create a management plan to best track multiple projects of varying degrees with nonprofits to complete them from start to finish;
- Be proactive in reaching out to the community to set up meetings and discussions;
- Meet multiple deadlines and benchmarks set by L.A. Works and the AmeriCorps grant;
- Identify new, creative volunteer roles at nonprofit partner sites;
- Conduct targeted recruitment efforts online and offline to improve volunteer matches and increase the number of volunteers placed at the nonprofit sites in new roles;
- Manage the online volunteer management and recruitment system for Community Connections, including: posting volunteer opportunities to the website, entering new partners, and cleaning and maintaining data with a high degree of autonomy;
- Contribute to quarterly and annual grant reporting on the benchmarks set and progress on projects;
- Create and disseminate marketing materials to the community to advertise the program;
- Identify opportunities for further growth and expansion of L.A. Works volunteer opportunities and partnerships;
- Serve as a community ambassador at L.A. Works events to recruit volunteers for a wide variety of volunteer opportunities;
- Serve as a resource for volunteer management inquiries and recruitment efforts;
- Assist with the logistics and delivery of the Service Enterprise Initiative to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations’ impact via leveraging the time and talent of volunteers.
Salary: A $15,996 per year stipend before taxes. It breaks down to about $1,333 a month before taxes.
Benefits: Childcare assistance if eligible, choice of Education Award or End of Service stipend, housing search assistance, health coverage, living allowance, travel coverage when applicable, relocation allowance if eligible, training accommodations onsite and offsite.
Location: L.A. Works is in Cypress Park, close to Elysian Park and just north of downtown Los Angeles, near Dodger’s Stadium. We are accessible by the gold line. This position will also be required to travel around Los Angeles by car.
Duration: One-year commitment.
Application Procedure: If you are interested in growing professionally within an innovative, highly respected organization through a year of service, we invite you to submit a single PDF document which includes the following to Becca Bloom, Director of Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter
- Two Professional References
- Also, please answer a short online questionnaire by visiting: http://bit.ly/19trC8a
Application Deadline: Applications are due by Friday, February 7th.
L.A. Works is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
About AmeriCorps: AmeriCorps engages more than 80,000 men and women in intensive service each year through more than 15,000 nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. AmeriCorps members help communities tackle pressing problems while mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve. Members gain valuable professional, educational, and life benefits, and the experience has a lasting impact on the members and the communities they serve. More information: http://www.americorps.gov.
About AmeriCorps VISTA: AmeriCorps VISTA is one of three main service programs of AmeriCorps that connects full-time members to community organizations and public agencies to create and expand programs that build capacity and ultimately bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty. More information.