Special Events Coordinator (flexible, part-time contractor position)
About L.A. Works: L.A. Works is a 501(c)3 nonprofit volunteer action center that creates, manages, and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area. With more than 20 years of success, L.A. Works addresses three principal needs: to increase volunteer participation in the community; to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations to achieve their missions through access to volunteer labor and other resources; and to educate and encourage people to engage in the broader social issues affecting the greater Los Angeles community. L.A. Works has more than 30,000 registered volunteers who have contributed over 1,000,000 volunteer hours of service to thousands of nonprofits in the Los Angeles community.
Position Overview: As a part of the L.A. Works leadership community, the Special Events Coordinator (SEC) will plan and lead corporate volunteer events on a per-project basis. This is a flexible contractor position, perfect for someone looking to grow his or her leadership experience and supplement his or her income. Coordinators will be pre-trained and certified by L.A. Works. The ideal candidate will have strong communications skills, be a self-starter who can multi-task, be knowledgeable about the latest trends in the nonprofit sector, and have experience working with and managing volunteers. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
Responsibilities for Special Events Coordinator Role:
Leadership and planning of hands-on community service projects for volunteers and nontraditional relationships with corporate partners. Overall project work consists of ~50% hands-on labor, physical work and project prep; 40% project planning; 10% project leading.
Special Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Work with designated school, nonprofit, or community agency to develop and lead a volunteer event for team of 50-300 corporate employee volunteers that fits within event budget;
● With support of Senior Special Event Coordinator, communicate with corporate liaison to ensure all corporate partner needs are being met;
● Scope volunteer project activities and plan event logistics such as first aid, parking, run-of-show, etc.
● Train corporate volunteers as site leaders for event;
● Ensure that supplies, water, and food are delivered to project site and pre-sorted ahead of time;
● Provide Senior SEC with supply order at least 2 weeks prior to event for purchase and delivery;
● Secure all necessary permits and ensure school processes (insurance, approvals, etc.) are handled, as appropriate;
● Document event activities through pre- and post- event photos, action photos of volunteers working, high-quality photos of murals. Create final report with # of people served, volunteer hours contributed, and other impact statistics;
● Complete survey evaluation and any necessary event close out;
● Promote L.A. Works programs and follow up with volunteers who want to stay involved;
● Attend and lead signature Days of Service and other special events/corporate volunteer projects as needed.
● Complete other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree with minimum of three years progressively responsible leadership experience;
● Event planning or production planning experience, a plus;
● Knowledge of the nonprofit volunteering sector; in-depth understanding of volunteer management and engagement practices, a plus;
● A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
● Great organizational skills, detail-oriented and meets strict deadlines;
● Strong customer service skills with professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone;
● Comfortable delivering presentations and guiding a room of participants;
● Proactive, self-directed, and results-oriented personality with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team;
● Excellent networking and relationship building skills;
● Strong problem solving skills; ability to see the big picture as well as immediate needs; and
● Great organizational skills, detail-oriented and meets strict deadlines.
● Ability to lift up to 50 pounds;
● Valid CA driver’s license;
● Access to personal car for occasional travel throughout Los Angeles County;
● Availability for some evening and weekend commitments;
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; and
● Experience with Salesforce, a plus.
Reporting: This position reports to the Senior Special Events Coordinator.
Position Status: SECs are independent contractors, billed through 1099 forms. Work will be available on a project-by-project basis based on event availability and SEC schedule/performance. Transportation, mileage and other work-related expenses are the responsibility of each SEC and will not be reimbursed by L.A. Works.
Payment Structure: Payment is determined and paid on a contract basis for each individual project. In addition to SEC performance, considerations include complexity of project, number of volunteers, level of existing corporate contract relationship, potential public exposure of event, etc. Project estimate is $525-725 for ~35 hour project to start, upon the discretion of the Director of Corporate Engagement and Senior Special Events Coordinator.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Application Procedure: Please email a single PDF file that includes a resume and a cover letter outlining your interest and relevant skills to HR@laworks.com.