About L.A. Works: L.A. Works is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, volunteer action center that creates and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area. We strive to empower Angelenos to address pressing social issues through volunteerism and community collaborations. L.A. Works has more than 25,000 registered volunteers who, by our best estimates, have contributed over 1,000,000 volunteer hours of service to thousands of nonprofits in the Los Angeles community. More information about L.A. Works: http://www.LAworks.com
About AmeriCorps: AmeriCorps engages more than 80,000 men and women in intensive service each year through more than 15,000 nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. AmeriCorps members help communities tackle pressing problems while mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve. Members gain valuable professional, educational, and life benefits, and the experience has a lasting impact on the members and the communities they serve. AmeriCorps VISTA is one of three main service programs of AmeriCorps that connects full-time members to community organizations and public agencies to create and expand programs that build capacity and ultimately bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty. http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp The term of service lasts for 1 year. A Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) Training is required for all members.
Position Overview: L.A. Works seeks a passionate, dedicated, highly motivated individual who is capable of managing L.A. Works’ nonprofit and volunteer relationships and is ready for a transformative year of growth as an AmeriCorps member. In focusing on building effectiveness and sustainability of volunteer programs and delivery at organizations addressing anti-poverty issues including community and economic development and healthy futures, the L.A. Works Nonprofit Relations Coordinator will become familiar with the diverse organizations and volunteer opportunities throughout Los Angeles. The AmeriCorps VISTA member will help transform our nonprofit partners’ volunteer programs to increase their capacity for poverty reduction in the community through more effective volunteer recruitment, placement and engagement practices. This position will require an entrepreneurial attitude, a pro-active drive to identify challenges and possibilities, management of a diverse portfolio of projects, a strong attention to deliverables, strength in building connections, and working towards seeing effective results in the LA community. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have strong communications skills, be a self-starter who can multi-task, and have experience working in nonprofits or with nonprofit volunteers. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
● Develop relationships with a core group of nonprofit agencies, providing them with consultative support to assist them in identifying challenges and areas of growth in their volunteer program and guiding them through action plans to address the needs;
● Create a management plan to best track multiple projects of varying degrees with nonprofits to complete them in a timely and thorough manner;
● Be proactive in reaching out to the community to set up meetings and discussions;
● Meet multiple deadlines and benchmarks set by L.A. Works and the AmeriCorps grant;
● Identify new, creative volunteer roles at nonprofit partner sites;
● Conduct targeted recruitment efforts online and offline to improve volunteer matches and increase the number of volunteers placed at the nonprofit sites;
● Manage the online volunteer management and recruitment system for Community Connections with a high degree of autonomy;
● Contribute to quarterly and annual grant reporting;
● Create and disseminate marketing materials to the community to advertise the program;
● Identify opportunities for further growth and expansion of L.A. Works volunteer opportunities and partnerships;
● Serve as a community ambassador at L.A. Works events to recruit volunteers for a wide variety of volunteer opportunities;
● Serve as a resource for volunteer management inquiries and recruitment efforts;
● Assist with the logistics and delivery of the Service Enterprise Initiative to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations’ impact via leveraging the time and talent of volunteers; and
● Participate in staff events and projects including large scale Days of Service.
● Bachelor’s degree;
● Commitment and understanding of the AmeriCorps principles and values including the one year of service
● Ability to adapt to the living allowance and other lifestyle challenges common for AmeriCorps members;
● Proactive, self-directed, and results-oriented with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team;
● Comfortable and effective in a “coaching” role with nonprofit professionals;
● A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time of pressure;
● Engaging public speaker and networker with ability to connect successfully with a wide range of individuals, especially nonprofit leaders;
● Strong customer service skills with professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone;
● Superior, persuasive, and proven writing and marketing capabilities;
● Proficient in developing processes and procedures to track data;
● Open to and excited by the opportunity to inform our strategic thinking and work within an entrepreneurial environment;
● Interest in nonprofit work and belief in the value of community service; and
● Access to personal car for travel throughout Los Angeles County.
● Valid driver’s license;
● Must be at least 17 years of age and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S.;
● Some evening and weekend commitments;
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
● Knowledge of databases and Google products a plus.
Salary: A $15,996 per year stipend before taxes. It breaks down to about $1,333 a month before taxes.
Benefits: Childcare assistance if eligible, choice of Education Award or End of Service stipend, housing search assistance, health coverage, living allowance, travel coverage when applicable, relocation allowance if eligible, training accommodations onsite and offsite.
Location: L.A. Works is in Cypress Park, close to Elysian Park and just north of downtown Los Angeles, near Dodger’s Stadium. We are accessible by the gold line. This position will also be required to travel around Los Angeles by car.
Duration: One-year commitment.
Application Procedure: If you are interested in growing professionally within an innovative, highly respected organization through a year of service, we invite you to submit a single PDF document which includes the following to Gyasi Ross, Director of Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter
- Two Professional References
- And answer a short online questionnaire by visiting: http://tinyurl.com/k4cd52k
Application Deadline: Applications are due by Friday, June 5th @ 5 p.m. L.A. Works is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.