L.A. Works is a 501(c)3 nonprofit volunteer action center that creates, manages, and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area. The primary mission of L.A. Works is to make L.A. a more equitable place by empowering Angelenos to address pressing social issues through volunteerism. L.A. Works recently celebrated its 25th anniversary. In the early 90s, the founders of L.A. Works sought to identify and provide hands-on service opportunities that would improve the quality of life for all in a diverse, sprawling city. Their hope was that when individuals work together on local needs through hands-on service, they would feel empowered to address the broader concerns of their neighborhoods and cities. From this idea, L.A. Works, now Los Angeles’ premier volunteer action center, was founded.
L.A. Works, Los Angeles’ largest and longest running volunteer action center is uniquely positioned to bridge the gap between interest in “getting involved” and nonprofits seeking to leverage volunteer power for the common good. L.A. Works is often the first organization that nonprofits come to for support in harnessing the community’s energy, as well as for help with volunteer recruitment, management, and training. Volunteers also seek out L.A. Works to give back and connect themselves to the city.
RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) is one of the largest volunteer networks in the nation for people age 55 and above. Funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service as a part of the larger Senior Corps initiative, RSVP engages older Americans in volunteer opportunities across the country. These volunteers have been an invaluable resource for nationwide response efforts—in everything from hunger prevention to natural disasters. L.A. Works has received a three-year renewable grant to develop a strong Los Angeles RSVP program in the west L.A. area. Building on the foundation of existing programming and relationships that L.A. Works has with nonprofits in the community, this program will more than double the volunteer resources L.A. Works provides to the greater Los Angeles region.
RSVP Outreach Coordinator Position Overview: The RSVP Outreach Coordinator will seek out, engage and recruit new volunteer members to help build this special program providing volunteer and social opportunities for active adults age 55+ in the west L.A. area. This position requires a Coordinator who is passionate about mobilizing older adults in service and excited to present to and connect with a broad array of communities throughout the western Los Angeles area. The ideal candidate will need to be out-going, tech-savvy, self-motivated, and highly organized. This individual should be knowledgeable on aging issues and opportunities. In collaboration with the Director of RSVP and RSVP team, this position will help increase RSVP membership, and ensure that expected outcomes are achieved. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to workplace diversity.
- Recruit individuals age 55+ for RSVP membership;
- Engage and connect RSVP members to ongoing volunteer opportunities;
- Utilize all Corporation for National and Community Service, L.A. Works website, and current and relevant volunteer promotional websites to list volunteer events;
- Utilize social media to promote RSVP program and volunteer opportunities;
- Actively conduct outreach to community organizations, continuing education programs, gyms, clubs, libraries, and centers for older adults;
- Work closely with RSVP team to maximize outreach impact;
- Maintain clear, current and accurate records;
- Develop and deliver dynamic and inspiring outreach presentation materials;
- Participate in L.A. Works’ large-scale Days of Service and L.A. Works Signature Projects; and
- Perform any and all other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds;
- Access to personal cell phone;
- Valid driver’s license and access to personal car for regular travel throughout Los Angeles County;
- Some evening and weekend commitments; and
- Initiate criminal history check prior to hire.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to connect with others and forge strong relationships
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and volunteer tracking databases
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Experience with social media promotion preferred
Reporting: This position reports to the Director of RSVP. This position is a part-time (20 hours/week), hourly paid, flexible position with benefits.
The job description doesn’t constitute a contract of employment and L.A. Works may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time. Prior to employment commencement, it will be necessary for you to consent to a background check. Placement in the NSCHC covered position is contingent upon eligibility determined by the results of the check. Prior to your employment commencement, you are required to undergo a background check which includes the following three components and the associated documentation of completion: National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW); and California Department of Justice Live Scan Background Check; and US Department of Justice FBI Checks.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Application Procedure: Please email a single PDF file that includes a resume and a cover letter outlining your interest and relevant skills to HR@laworks.com.