AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer Corps Member
Position Overview: L.A. Works will be placing passionate, dedicated, highly motivated individuals in nonprofit organizations throughout Los Angeles. They will help transform their host site’s volunteer programs through more effective volunteer recruitment, placement, and engagement practices. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, be a self-starter who can multi-task, and have experience working in nonprofits or with volunteers. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
Check out our 2017 – 2018 host sites: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15bm-vJxOb5zjSA6ME_ccepX6liMHKv5L0BNshOA85EA/edit?usp=sharing
- Thoroughly assess host site’s volunteer program;
- Identify new, creative volunteer roles at host site;
- Conduct targeted recruitment efforts online and offline to improve volunteer matches and increase the number of volunteers placed at host site;
- Contribute to monthly and annual grant reporting;
- Attend monthly meetings and trainings at L.A. Works;
- Serve as a Project Leader at L.A. Works special days of service;
- Living Allowance | AmeriCorps member receive a living allowance that is distributed bi-weekly.
- Segal Education Award | Upon successful completion of one year of service, AmeriCorps members earn a $5,775 education award that can be put towards student loans or future educational expenses.
- Loan Forbearance | AmeriCorps members may be eligible to have their loans temporarily postponed while they are serving
- Childcare | AmeriCorps VISTA member may qualify for childcare assistance during their terms of service.
- Health Benefits | All AmeriCorps VISTA members are eligible to participate in the Health Benefits Program at no cost.
- Commitment and understanding of the AmeriCorps principles and values including the one year of service;
- Ability to adapt to the living allowance and other lifestyle challenges common for AmeriCorps members;
- A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
- Engaging public speaker and networker
- Professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone
- Passion for nonprofit work and belief in the value of community service
- Must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S.;
- Some evening and weekend commitments;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
Duration: One-year commitment
About AmeriCorps: AmeriCorps VISTA is one of three main service programs of AmeriCorps that connects full-time members to community organizations and public agencies to create and expand programs that build capacity and ultimately bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty. Members gain valuable professional, educational, and life experience. The term of service lasts for 1 year. A Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) Training is required for all members.