About L.A. Works: L.A. Works is a 501(c)3 nonprofit volunteer action center that creates, manages, and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area. With over 25 years of success, L.A. Works addresses three principal needs: to increase volunteer participation in the community; to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations to achieve their missions through access to volunteer labor and other resources; and to educate and encourage people to engage in the broader social issues affecting the greater Los Angeles community. L.A. Works has more than 30,000 registered volunteers who have contributed over 1,000,000 volunteer hours of service to thousands of nonprofits in the Los Angeles community.
About the XPRIZE Project: XPRIZE is a global leader in designing and implementing innovative competition models to solve the world’s greatest challenges. L.A. Works and Points of Light are partnering with XPRIZE to unveil the first part of a 12-month adult literacy program designed as a free mobile app. The XPRIZE app aims to create unprecedented tech solutions for low literacy through removing barriers by improving access, increasing retention, and scaling to meet demand – anytime, anywhere – empowering the nearly 1 in 6 low literate adults living in the U.S. with the skills they need to improve their lives.
Position Description: As part of the team you will be asked to assist in leading groups of volunteers to help adult learners download the XPRIZE app and assess their literacy level. You will be asked to learn all volunteer roles in order to step in when there are gap areas. In this position you will gain exposure to a globally recognized organization and be on the cutting edge of finding innovative solutions to address one of Los Angeles’ leading problems, low literacy. Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS) certified training will be provided. Ideal for students who have evening classes and study in the areas of Social Work, Education or related field. If you love Los Angeles, are extremely reliable, and enjoy working with the community, this opportunity is for you!
- Attending test sites throughout Los Angeles as team lead for volunteers;
- Training and managing volunteers on-site where testing takes place;
- Engaging with low literate and monolingual Spanish speaking adults seeking to download XPRIZE app;
- Maintaining ongoing communications with volunteers via email and phone to ensure attendance and reception of materials; and
- Addressing volunteer inquiries and needs to ensure that our opportunities are living up to expectations;
- Passion for community service;
- Excellent phone, written, and verbal communications etiquette;
- Proactive, self-directed, and results-oriented personality with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Willingness to drive throughout Los Angeles, valid Driver’s License required;
- Has flexibility in day time hours;
- Experience with Google Docs & Sheets, Android Technology, Microsoft Office. Knowledge of a CRM database such as Salesforce, a plus;
- Experience with volunteering and knowledge of the LA landscape preferred.
- Spanish speakers highly desired.
Time Commitment: Approximately 36 hours a week through October 31st.
Compensation: $12.00/hour. Intern will benefit from this great learning experience by enhancing his/her/their resumes, building his/her/their personal and professional skills and network as he/she/they make a difference in the LA’s underserved communities.
Reporting: This position reports to the Director of Strategic Partnerships. This position is an hourly paid, flexible position. Hours vary.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Application Procedure: Please email a single PDF file that includes a resume and a brief cover letter outlining your interest and relevant skills to HR@laworks.com.