L.A. Works is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, volunteer action center that creates and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area. We strive to empower Angelenos to address pressing social issues through volunteerism and community collaborations.
Founded in 1991, our mission consists of three principal pillars:
1. INCREASE volunteer participation in community service projects;
2. PROVIDE our nonprofit partners with access to volunteer labor and other RESOURCES; and
3. EDUCATE and encourage people to engage in the broader social issues affecting the greater Los Angeles Community.
Tens of thousands of committed volunteers together with thousands of civic, nonprofit and business partners have enabled L.A. Works to make a significant, visible, and lasting contribution to Los Angeles.
Since 1991, L.A. Works has mobilized and led volunteers to contribute over a million hours to Los Angeles through unique volunteer programming, which has included:
• Serving meals and preparing emergency food provisions for over 425,000 homeless and low-income individuals;
• Providing educational and enrichment activities for over 65,000 disadvantaged youth;
• Revitalizing schools, parks, and community centers for more than 200,000 volunteer hours;
• Offering companionship to seniors and friendship to abused and homeless women for more than 20,000 volunteer hours;
• Conserving, cleaning and restoring urban and natural environments in and around Los Angeles for more than 75,000 volunteer hours;
• Caring for animals in shelters and sanctuaries at over 1,200 volunteer projects; and
• Training more than 900 Angelenos in project and volunteer management.
What We Do
L.A. Works’ programming is designed to impact two different but equally important constituencies – the volunteers who provide hands-on service to their communities, and the individuals (and environment or animals) who benefit from this support. The breadth of L.A. Works’ volunteer programs, outlined below, makes it easy for every Angeleno to be of service to his or her community, regardless of interest, schedule, or skill-set.
For more information, please visit our website at www.LAWorks.com!