About AmeriCorps: AmeriCorps VISTA is one of three main service programs of AmeriCorps that connects full-time members to community organizations and public agencies to create and expand programs that build capacity and ultimately bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty. Members gain valuable professional, educational, and life experience. The term of service lasts for 1 year. Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) Training is required for all members.
Position Overview: L.A. Works seeks a passionate, dedicated, highly motivated individual who is capable of managing L.A. Works’ nonprofit and volunteer relationships and is ready for a transformative year of growth as an AmeriCorps member. The L.A. Works Nonprofit Relations Coordinator will become familiar with the diverse organizations and volunteer opportunities throughout Los Angeles. This AmeriCorps VISTA member will help transform our nonprofit partners’ volunteer programs through more effective volunteer recruitment, placement and engagement practices. The ideal candidate will have strong communications skills, be a self-starter who can multi-task, and have experience working in nonprofits or with nonprofit volunteers. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
- Develop relationships with a core group of nonprofit agencies, providing them with consultative support to assist them in identifying challenges and areas of growth in their volunteer program and guiding them through action plans to address the needs;
- Meet multiple deadlines and benchmarks set by L.A. Works and the AmeriCorps grant;
- Identify new, creative volunteer roles at nonprofit partner sites;
- Conduct targeted recruitment efforts online and offline to improve volunteer matches and increase the number of volunteers placed at the nonprofit sites;
- Manage the online volunteer management and recruitment system for Community Connections with a high degree of autonomy;
- Contribute to quarterly and annual grant reporting;
- Serve as a community ambassador at L.A. Works events to recruit volunteers for a wide variety of volunteer opportunities;
- Serve as a resource for volunteer management inquiries and recruitment efforts;
- Assist with the logistics and delivery of the Service Enterprise Initiative to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations’ impact via leveraging the time and talent of volunteers; and
- Participate in staff events and projects including large scale Days of Service.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Commitment and understanding of the AmeriCorps principles and values including the one year of service
- Ability to adapt to the living allowance and other lifestyle challenges common for AmeriCorps members;
- Comfortable and effective in a “coaching” role with nonprofit professionals;
- A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
- Engaging public speaker and networker with ability to connect successfully with a wide range of individuals, especially nonprofit leaders;
- Strong customer service skills with professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone;
- Superior, persuasive, and proven writing and marketing capabilities;
- Proficient in developing processes and procedures to track data;
- Interest in nonprofit work and belief in the value of community service; and
- Access to personal car for travel throughout Los Angeles County.
- Valid driver’s license;
- Must be at least 17 years of age and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S.;
- Some evening and weekend commitments;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Knowledge of databases and Google products a plus.
Duration: One-year commitment.
Application Deadline: Applications are due by Monday, December 7th at 5 p.m. If you are interested in growing professionally within an innovative, highly respected organization through a year of service, please email a cover letter and resume to Asia Olaño, email@example.com.
L.A. Works is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
Application Procedure: If you are interested in growing professionally within an innovative, highly respected organization through a year of service, we invite you to submit a single PDF document which includes the following:
- Cover Letter
- Two Professional References
- And answer a short online questionnaire by visiting: http:tinyurl.com/k4cd52k
Submit all materials to Asia Olaño, firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 18th at 5 pm. Please mention where you viewed this description in the body of the e-mail.