About L.A. Works: L.A. Works is a 501(c)3 nonprofit volunteer action center that creates, manages, and implements hands-on community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area. With 25 years of success, L.A. Works addresses three principal needs: to increase volunteer participation in the community; to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations to achieve their missions through access to volunteer labor and other resources; and to educate and encourage people to engage in the broader social issues affecting the greater Los Angeles community. L.A. Works has more than 30,000 registered volunteers who have contributed over 1,000,000 volunteer hours of service to thousands of nonprofits in the Los Angeles community.
Position Overview: In collaboration with the Director of Corporate Engagement, the Logistics Manager will provide support, training and leadership for new and returning Special Event Coordinators (SECs) as well as assist with general corporate program operations. The Logistics Manager position will also include the duties of a SEC as outlined below, including project management of large-scale corporate and Day of Service volunteer events. This is a perfect role for someone looking to grow his or her leadership and management experience. The ideal candidate will have strong communications skills, be a self-starter who can multi-task, have experience in event production, and experience working with and managing volunteers and/or teams of people. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
Responsibilities for Logistics Manager Role:
Under direction from the Director of Corporate Engagement, the Logistics Manager will manage and support a team of 3-10 SECs who are part-time consultants responsible for managing hands-on day of service projects for L.A. Works’ corporate clients. The Logistics Manager will also lead warehouse and inventory management in support of overall corporate program and Day of Service operations. Logistics Manager will:
- Participate in hiring and assignment process for new SECs based on 2016-2017 departmental timeline;
- Assist with initial and ongoing SEC training and development;
- Provide ongoing supervision and support to SECs while on project assignment;
- Act as liaison between Director of Corporate Engagement and SECs;
- Train corporate volunteers as project leaders for event;
- Supervise Warehouse Associate to lead operations for small warehouse of light construction equipment and volunteer event supplies. Maintain inventory, organization and safety standards.
- Procure event supplies and ensure tools and supplies are properly distributed to/from project sites, make deliveries as needed.
- Supervise Warehouse Associate to maintain tight inventory of supplies for pre/post-corporate events and provide direction for event production.
- Foster and maintain in-kind donor relationships to strengthen event supply inventory.
Responsibilities also include:
Leadership and planning of hands-on day of service projects and non-traditional relationships with corporate partners, including:
- Work with school, nonprofit, or agency assigned by Dir. of Corporate Engagement to develop a volunteer event for a team of corporate volunteers that fits within event budget;
- Ensure that bulk/specialty supplies, water and snacks are ordered, loaded, delivered and pre-sorted ahead of time;
- Process payments to contractors, vendors, SECs and day-of event support;
- Coordinate with Dir. of Corporate Engagement to invite civic leaders, press, celebrities, etc. as needed;
- Permits and school processes (insurance, approvals, etc.) handled as appropriate;
- Ensure documentation of day’s activities, including: Pre- and Post- event photos as well as action photos of volunteers working, High quality photos of murals, and Final report with #s who served, hours of service, site, contact info, $ spent versus $ budgeted, etc. to be submitted to Dir. of Corp. Engagement; and
- Survey corporate volunteers with post-event evaluation and capture contact info if they want to get involved in other L.A. Works projects (facility, managed, or referrals).
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum of four years progressively responsible management experience;
- Experience training and supervising employees or long-term volunteers a plus;
- Knowledge of the nonprofit sector; in-depth understanding of volunteer management and engagement practices;
- A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
- Comfortable delivering presentations and guiding a room of participants;
- Proactive, self-directed, and results-oriented personality with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Excellent networking, customer service and relationship building skills;
- Ability to successfully adapt to varying communication styles
- Ability to be creative and resourceful to develop new, unique programs and initiatives;
- Great organizational skills and detail-oriented nature; and
- Open to and excited by the opportunity to inform our strategic thinking and work within an entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Access to personal car for occasional travel throughout Los Angeles County;
- Some evening and weekend commitments; and
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
Reporting: This position reports to the Director of Corporate Engagement.
Time expectations and salary: This is a full-time position. Salary is negotiable and will be stipulated in offer letter. The percentage of hours devoted to specific responsibilities subject to corporate event timeline.
To apply: Submit a coverletter, resume, and salary history in a single PDF document to HR1@laworks.com